There are four Education-Outreach volunteer roles, all of which will receive the guidance and support of 10,000 Trees Director of Education.
All Education-Outreach roles require volunteers to:
• Be comfortable talking to individuals and small groups of people of all ages
• Be flexible, positive, and collaborative in nature
• Be able to use computers and have a working knowledge/ basic understanding of Microsoft Office suites.
• Be available to attending orientation/training and support pre-event set up on the Saturday prior to the Sunday public planting day and on planting day Sunday
• Be able to meet “as needed” throughout the year, excluding summer months. Most meetings to plan and co-ordinate activities take place once a month (Sept to May) during evening hours
1. Discovery Den (Information Booth) Staff: An approximate 30 hour commitment.
• Plan and create engaging activities for children and adults using natural and computer generated materials.
• Take a shift at the Den on planting day, facilitating activities and exchanging information with the public
• Count visitors with a tally counter.
• Be open to help staff the booth at other community events throughout the year if needed.
• Help to produce the final report with recommendations.
Optional: Take a shift to dress up as the 10,000 Trees mascot for social media photo opportunities. (Professional costume provided) Take a turn planting a few trees.
2. Discovery Alley Coordinator(s): An approximate 70 hour commitment.
• Manage and maintain email list of prospective and participating organizations.
• Send out “save the date” notices to prospective organizations and related follow up responses
• Send out site maps, confirmations, facilitate and maintain communications with participating organizations.
• On planting day, greet/orientate organizations and direct them to their location for set up.
• Be an ambassador throughout the planting day to make organizations feel welcome, field their questions and ensure they participate any related activities.
• Send out thank you notes and a digital questionnaire evaluating the day to participating organizations.
• Participate in monthly leadership meetings as needed by providing brief, monthly updates.
• Prepare and produce final report related outlining findings and recommendations.
3. Educational Publications Team Members: An approximate 20 hour commitment.
• Produce maps and informational posters for Den and planting sites.
• Develop resources that can be linked to the 10,000 Trees website.
• Work with others to create educational You-tube Videos, PR materials and Power Point presentations etc.
• Liaison with 10,000 Trees Marketing Committee Volunteers and Photographer
Optional: Helping to staff the Discovery Den on planting day and take part in planting and other activities
4. School Group Ambassadors: An approximate 30 hour commitment.
• Participate as a part time Discovery Den Staff
• Greet/Orientate/Escort school groups (Elementary and Secondary) on site to facilitate a meaningful field trip experience for students on the planting day. This may include secondary school students being evaluated for a SHSM Tree Planting Certificate.
• Liaison with 10,000 Trees Education Director who maintains ongoing communication with school groups